Thursday, October 3, 2013

Journal 01

I was asked to write my journal on a blog, so here is the journal. I have been blogging since 1995 when Singtel started to launch their deep-up services. It was really slow then, something like 56kbps, if I can recall accurately, or perhaps it was 125kbps, most likely not, I think 125kbps was an upgrade with a faster dial-up modem. Now, it is a world of difference, I am using a 50Mbps fiber optic broadband modem. I could watch video and study on-line. I had been wanting to have my own server and now there is the cloud where Google and Microsoft would give a few gigabytes free for storage. Back then, a hardisk of 250MB cost me a thousand dollars to buy one. Memory is cheap now, but programs are getting heavy too, as everyone is not concern about conserving space; they prefer to be more slavish with storing more information in case they just might need it. I am one of those culprits; I must confess. I have so many hardisk and searching for information on the hardisk becomes a mammoth task. It is really a discipline to organize and trim files to their required size for safe keeping. However, I do face a lot of problems when application and hardware got phased out as time progresses. I would need time to convert and transfer this information into the new format and the storage device. The clue, I figure was to store names in the 'file name' instead of in a database program. Fortunately, many people have seen this problem and have created a 'meta-data' in the file itself. This is a great way forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment